Pharmacy Technician - Medication Reconciliation - Full Time - JVW
Come work with us at Jordan Valley Medical Center- West Valley Campus! JV West Valley is a community based hospital that has many diverse career opportunities. We work as a team, involving all employees, to provide the highest level of care to our patients. It is this teamwork that allows for career growth and promotes continuous learning.
JV West Valley has been serving the health care needs of the West Valley since 1963. This busy full-service hospital offers its neighbors a wide range of medical services and advanced medical technologies backed by a dedicated and caring staff. As the area has grown and changed, JV West Valley has responded by expanding its services, offering Women’s Services, ICU, Med Surg, Telemetry, Surgical Services, Physical Therapy, Behavioral Health, and one of the busiest emergency departments in the state.
Whether you want to work with patients in a clinical position, or your skills are in another field like maintenance, customer service, laboratory, administration, or even food production, there are roles suited for you at JV West Valley Campus.
Pharmacy technicians assist and support licensed pharmacists in providing health care and medications to patients. Pharmacy technicians must have a broad knowledge of pharmacy practice, and be skilled in the techniques required to order, stock, package, and compound and otherwise prepare medications. In addition to standard pharmacy technician duties, the Medication List Technician routinely performs special functions related to gathering and documenting patient home medication lists. The Medication List Technician reviews, clarifies, documents and verifies with the patient or family if possible, the patient’s “Prior to Admission” medication list (“Home Medications”) within 24 hours of admission to the hospital. The technician alerts the pharmacist to issues related to Home Medications. The technician keeps records of all work processed for medication list performance monitoring.
- Identify target patients admitted to hospital within last 24 hours
- Give priority to Emergency Department patients slated for admission (in real time) in order to complete the process prior to the physician conducting admission medication reconciliation.
- Short stay surgical patients, Behavioral Health patients and L&D patients may be excluded from the target group.
- Patients admitted prior to 24 hours may also be reviewed, if warranted and time allows.
- Collect a list of medications prescribed to the patient prior to admission via:
- Review of External Rx history data
- Review of a recent prior discharge home medication list
- Patient/Family provided written medication list
- Review of Prescription bottles
- Patient/Family interview contacting Retail, Mail Order, or Specialty pharmacy utilized by patient
- Contacting the Clinic where the medication prescription were acquired
- Contacting the long-term care facility or other prior health care facility
- Document the home medication list in computer with:
- Drug Name
- Last time taken (if able to identify)
- Source of information
- Name of technician completing medication list
- Collaborate with nursing to identify obstacles to acquiring information
- Notify the provider of completed medication list
- Notify the pharmacist when a medication on the high risk home medication list is discovered after the admitting physician performs admission medication reconciliation
- Review reports to identify patient home medication lists with missing data elements
- Assist with other routine technician duties, as requested
- Education: A degree or the equivalent combination of education and training experience.
- Experience: Three (3) years pharmacy technician experience desired .
- Certification/Licensure: PTCB and DOPL License
Steward Health Care is an equal opportunity employer Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
"Jordan Valley Medical Center and JVMC West Valley Campus are directly or indirectly owned by an entity that proudly includes physician owners, including certain members of the hospital's medical staff."